Powershell – Solarwinds – Get Devices Connected to Switch Ports

To get powershell access to Solarwinds Orion you need to install the SDK 


The powershell module installed is



The best way to visually see what you are getting back is to first use SWQL Studio that in installed on your device when you install the SDK

Here is some example powershell code to get back the device and what switch port it is on

#Solarwinds Server
$SolarwindsServer = "SolarwindsServer"
#Username password is a local username password for Solarwinds
$SolarwindsUser = Read-Host -Prompt "Username"
$Password = Read-Host -Prompt "Password"
$swis = Connect-Swis -UserName $SolarwindsUser -Password $Password -Hostname $SolarwindsServer

#Get Connected devices, what port and switch they were connected to and when last seen
Get-SwisData $swis 'SELECT LastSeen, MACAddress, RawMAC, AdministrativeStatus, OperationalStatus, PortType, NodeAccessPoint, ClientSSID, NodeStatus, NodeStatusIcon, PortIcon, IPAddress, PortDescription, PortName, HostName, VendorIcon, ShutdownIcon, MACVendor, EndpointID, IsWireless, IsRWCommunityDefined, NodeID, PortID, MacUrl, PortUrl, APUrl, HostNameUrl,
                    MEMBERS.ContainerID, MEMBERS.MemberPrimaryID, MEMBERS.MemberEntityType, MEMBERS.Name
                    FROM Orion.UDT.MACCurrentInformation UDT
                    JOIN Orion.ContainerMembers MEMBERS   ON UDT.NodeID = MEMBERS.MemberPrimaryID

#Get Container(group)members returns nodes and the container they are in
Get-SwisData $swis 'SELECT ContainerID, MemberPrimaryID, MemberEntityType, Name, Status, MemberUri, MemberAncestorDisplayNames, MemberAncestorDetailsUrls, EntityDisplayName, EntityDisplayNamePlural, FullName, DetailsUrl,ContainerMembers.Container.Displayname AS ContainerName
                         FROM Orion.ContainerMembers



SCCM – Fixing SUP Memory Issues

Basically  , as my dad would say, WSUS has got its knickers in a knot,  as by default the application pool is limited to RAM.

It needs a heeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaap of RAM and time for it to run to unravel it’s self.

Plus it needs a bunch of reconfiguration of the app pool as listed below

After that you will then be able to see what amount of ram it needs on a day to day basis


Increase temporarily the RAM on the server.

When I say increase give it 2 or 3 times the RAM.

Un-limit the memory used by the AppPool (Private memory limit = 0)

The rest of this is stolen from here


1.      On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager

2.      Open Application Pools

3.      Right click ‘WsusPool’ and select ‘Advanced Settings…’

4.      To support the maximum SCCM Software Update Point clients, change ‘Queue Length’ from the default 1,000 to 25,000

5.     Change ‘”Service Unavailable” Response Type’ from the default HttpLevel to TcpLevel

6.      Change ‘Failure Interval (minutes) from the default 5 to 30

7.      Change ‘Maximum Failures’ from the default 5 to 60

8.      Click ‘OK’ to save the App Pool changes

9.      Recycle the application pool.

10.  If the memory is not reduced : Restart the  WSUS Administration Website

11.  If the memory is not reduced : Restart the  World Wide Web Publishing Service 



Monitor, but eventually after a few days you should not see the “new normal” for the RAM required for the  application pool to run

Then after a week reduce the  memory to the new normal


SCCM – KB3114874 not installing [Solved]

A weird one – KB3114874 was deployed to a collection of computers. On those that said it was still required, if you forced Software updates evaluation, it would not show in the windows update log as being installed, or failing to install. Nothing, nada, zip! If you check what updates were installed , it was not listed. If I used my  Get-UpdatesAvailableOnServer.ps1 script , it showed me what SCCM thought there was still outstanding.

Computername ArticleID Name                                                                 URL                                     
------------ --------- ----                                                                 ---                                    
Computer1     3114874   Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3114874) 32-Bit Edition https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3114874

There was a disconnect between the SCCM Client and Windows Update

So I used my SCCM Client Sledgehammer to reset the SCCM Client and low and behold the KB now installed fine!